Drupal7 is no longer maintained, many modules are no longer updated; it would be time to switch to Drupal8, but Drupal upgrades are a pain in the ass.
I started to go deep inside Hugo, and I loved it, because of the ease of customization. Hugo is debian packaged, but Hugo's development is pretty fast, so the Debian version is already a bit outdated.
But the most difficult thing for me was the search for a theme; the requirements were:
- cute (according to my opinionable tastes)
- management of multilingual articles
- management of page aliases (to maintain backward compatibility with old drupal pages)
The last 2 points are a bit against the current web development, which tends to link (when it goes well) or to embed a lot of libraries, pinned at a certain version. All this, often, for a single function that allows a stylistic quirk. The problem with embedded and/or pinned to a certain version libraries is that they do not receive updates, even when there are serious security issues. I have seen recent updated themes with incorporated libraries dating back a few years ago ...
At one point I also thought of making myself a theme for myself, but, not being a web developer, not having a great aesthetic sense and not much time, I had to give up.
Pelican also is Debian packaged and, being the development most stable, the version is the latest available. The real lack of pelican is aliases managing, but I found the plugin pelican-alias Chris Williams (Nitron), which was a good start point. I had to provide a patch so that it could also handle the aliases of the translated pages, and I asked for inclusion in the code. I trust that sooner or later I can enter the mainstream.
The theme I chose did not cover all my needs, but Vladimír is a kind and helpful person, and with him I managed to fix most of them:
- he has accepted my pull request so each page can have its own language
- he has created a better solution for my request to manage pages without explicit summary
- he correctly explained because he can not keep the python2 version and he gave me suggestions for converting the debian package to python3. I then updated bug debian 875255 with the request to use python3 instead of python2.
- has not yet replied to my request to generate links to translated pages, but, being an enhancement, I haven't asked anymore if it's willing to give following the idea.
All in all I think I have found a good alternative to the old CMS, and to be able to proceed with the production of the new site. I hope also to be able to keep it a bit more updated.